IPA Frequently Asked Questions + A testimonial

Ask questions about Paruresis, tell your story, talk about it!
rossco309

IPA Frequently Asked Questions + A testimonial

Post by rossco309 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:14 pm

Hi All, below is a quote from a recent IPA email:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

IPA receives several phone calls & emails with similar questions. In this section we will address one of them.

Question: Is it important to let my doctor know about my paruresis?

Answer:
Yes. But be prepared to educate your doctor when you visit, as many are unfamiliar with this condition. First off, your doctor needs to make sure there is no physical cause of your paruresis. If one exists, resolving it might be the only treatment you need. IPA recommends that everyone seeking paruresis treatment first rule out any physical cause with his or her doctor. Older men can experience a common problem called benign prostatic hyperplasia that is easily treatable. There are many other physical conditions that have some of the symptoms of paruresis…...
Read more about this FAQ by clicking on the IPA Globe. And don’t forget to give your doctor a copy of “Shy Bladder Syndrome: Your Step by Step Guide to Overcoming Paruresis”!

Important note: This is for informational purposes only, and is not to be construed as legal or medical advice. IPA will not be held liable in any way for the use of this information for legal purposes.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE – A Testimonial

I am 56 years old and have suffered with Shy Bladder Syndrome since my youth. I realized just how bad my problem was when I went to the drive-in theater with friends when I was 14 years old and had to go really bad, only I couldn’t in the open urinal type facility. I eventually snuck off, found an opening in the fence and urinated on the other side. I spent the next 42 years thinking I was some kind of a freak, and fearful of any circumstance that would not allow me to use a private bathroom.

It was just getting to be too much for me and I finally looked the problem up on Google and to my surprise I found the International Paruresis Association. I purchased their book on the subject and sat down and read it. I was happy to know that I was not alone, that there are others like me and that I am not weird.

I used what I learned from the book to change the way I viewed the situation and preceded to alter my own mental outlook. I first visualized myself using a public facility, then I started going into them, usually failing, but keeping a positive outlook and thinking positive thoughts. Over the past two months at a new job I am now able to use a public toilet. I still have times when I fail, but not many. Every time I am successful I reward myself with positive thoughts and visualize being successful.

I am just sorry that I spent most of my life in the dark about this situation. I altered my lifestyle, where I would go, what I would do because of the fear of using a public bathroom. It sounds silly but, it is true. Over the last few months I have used several public restrooms and I am building up confidence to do so. I know that soon I probably won’t have a problem at all and I will be freed from a life of having to be close to a private bathroom.

Thanks for your help in ridding me of this senseless fear! ~ Stephen

I thought that these were worthwhile sharing on our PAA Chatpage.
Ross.