Good experience with GP and Urologist

Ask questions about Paruresis, tell your story, talk about it!
Tim

Good experience with GP and Urologist

Post by Tim » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi everybody, it's been a while since posting, so long in fact I forgot my UN and PW!

Anyway I have somewhat regressed in my battle against paruresis. While it no longer completely rules my life it still effects many choices I make.
I realised a couple of years ago a poor self image is at the heart of my condition and other issues in my life. I have been so critical of myself that I wouldn't even visit a GP, the last visit was around 20 years ago! My false thoughts (and other peoples experiences) had me thinking doctors would just laugh at me, but I got to a point where I just didn't care what anyone thought, so I finally contacted a local GP. When I first met him my false thoughts started again 'he's awefully young I said to myself' and I wasn't sure if I would be able to talk to him about AP. But to his credit he made me feel so comfortable I was able to discuss all my insecurities and anxieties. He mentioned he'd seen somebody with paruresis only the week before and said he'd come across it quite a bit. He suggested I should visit a urologist he knows that is well aware of paruresis.

While it is suggested we visit a urologist to make sure there is no medical reason for AP, I skipped this process out of fear, but once again my thoughts proved to be false. Like the GP the urologist couldn't have made me feel more 'comfortable' or 'normal', so I'm booked into hospital for a thorough inspection!

So maybe the condition is gaining the recognition it deserves, in the medical fraternity anyway. It probably stands to reason that younger doctors may be a little more in tune with social anxiety disorders. I hope this helps anyone out there with the same concerns about seeking professional help, just move on to another if you are met with any negative attitudes.

Tim

chas

Re: Good experience with GP and Urologist

Post by chas » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:31 am

My experience at the latest visit to Urologist for enlarged prostate.

I thought I would mention during the consultation that having trouble with urine flow because of the enlarged prostate was not helped by having a shy bladder. It did not elicit any follow up comment from the urologist (or the female student doctor sitting in on the consultation).

Why be shy about mentioning a shy bladder?

The best things that has happened is that I have met up with two pee buddies in town. We are all getting a lot out of our meets at least once a week. I doubt if I would have mentioned shy bladder to the urologist if I had not been having the reassuring sessions with the pee buddies over recent months.